Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My first attempt on painting (oil)

The unearthly struggle of summoning enough courage to apply the paint from a improvised palette (SkyFlakes tin can cover) on an empty canvas was really another milestone. Gaining enough encouragement from different people finally made me do it. This is my first piece.

It was very difficult to think of a suitable trial subject for my first oil painting project. I even made a dozen of drafts about surreal images from imagination, dreams, and nightmares. It probably took me a good couple of hours experimenting on these images.

Perfectionist as it may sound, I am really hesitant to use my ideas on my first attempt on oil painting. I dreaded the thought of not being able to execute my desired image just like the way I have conceptualized it. To make things worse, I am aware that this first trial would be and should be more focused technique, skill, and execution. The concept can wait for some other time since I have all of them tucked away in my good old sketch pads.

I aim to reach the perfection of old masters though I know it is next to impossible. Most people would even wonder why would I even bother to try. I really hope I have the answer to that. I really do. The only thing that I know is that these old masters didn't have a screwed up head like I do.

Depth, metaphor,  poetic quality, and all that jazz can wait. Right now, a simple subject would do.

Ladies and Gents, my first train wreck... I call this work "Furblind"    HAHAHA!!! sorry about that. I really cannot think of a title. His name is Kingking. He is a cross between a maltese and lhasa apso. He was born blind. Retardedly cute and fluffy as a Teddy Bear.

To my fellow artists, newbies and veterans... CHEERS! This is a celebration of the birth of a new voice that was born with the purpose of gently sculpting souls. RAKENROWL!!


2 comments:

  1. sino yang aso na yan? kakaawa naman at nagamit mo pang model. joke. maganda. congrats sa iyong first attempt. see?! liberating di ba. hindi naman kasi kailangang maging perfect sya agad. you share your work para matuto ka rin from other painters. :) keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work Jin! Kingking rocks! ;D

    ReplyDelete